11.02.2009

اليوم و اليوم فقط لا احب مصر

A series of bad experiences (people cheating me, being generally uncooperative, demanding I speak arabic when the only non-amea words in my sentence are part of a name, brushes with IGNORANT international students) have made me hate egypt...just for today, I promise.  Actually, the last bit about international students cant even be attributed to egypt...these kids are american or from the EU. Still, it makes me want to strangle someone.  It's not even that I want to go home...I'd gladly fly to the EU and finish out the semester there...but thats a pansy move.

Everyone studies abroad in the EU, myself included.  I just have to keep going over why I came here...its different, I need/love to study arabic, its FRIGGIN egypt!   But i'm no longer loving arabic...perhaps because the professors here (while good) cannot compete with Emory Professors in the Arabic department.  Asifa but it's true...and pretty darn sad.

I'm tired of the egyptian obsession with whiteness...  Everybody has color issues but when it means I walk into an establishment and they fall all over themselves helping my (white) companion and treat me like they're paying me for a service.....we have issues. It's kinda pathetic.  Whatever happened to egyptian pride? to history and culture? whatever.

I'm tired of RUDE people...people who smoke RIGHT outside of a classroom, run into you like they dont see you standing there, pee facing traffic (the peeing in public is bad ENOUGH) and refuse to do their jobs, you know, the one they are getting PAID FOR.  Excuse me, I know this is Cairo and everyone smokes but your smoke gives me a headache and the girl beside me is asthmatic...move your  habit elsewhere.  // the next girl that acts like I'm supposed to move outta her way when she is coming down the stairs beside her friend is getting stabbed...or at least cursed out...or tripped or shoved // nasty old (and young) men who AEYZ.... really old man, really? you want? you WANT WHAT? I'm so disgusted by most of the men I encounter here....there isnt enough liquor in all of egypt for me to talk to you. Cause for real, you are sitting on the corner...do you have a job? when is the last time you showered? you are NASTY and I'd rather ROT than let you within five feet of me...yes even black girls have standards...SURPRISE!

Tomorrow, I will love Egypt insha'allah but now...I'm tired of dirty [insert expletive here] streets, people constantly littering, being unable to breath, vendors who dont give change, smokers and people who act like they are doing me a favor by letting me  live in this  (another expletive[just for today]) country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment