8.29.2009

First days in Al Qahira

Yesterday... I landed, finally, after a 10.5 hour flight from JFK! I met the SWEETEST egyptian woman at the gate. Apparently she's a dual citizen, canada.  Anywho she was so nice, giving me all these tips and what not.  I also met about 4 other AUC abroaders and they are all frickin awesome! We later wandered around Zamalek (pretty nice area) and found dinner...


...or that's what was left :)

I had shwerma (sp? transliteration) which can be chicken or beef w/tomatoes, pickles and this buttery garlicky..tastiness on pita or a roll.  It was BOMB! I will be heading back to the stand today!

they took us for a felucca ride (which rocked, literally and figuratively) and I dabbled in the nile (an ill advised move)...about 3 times.  After we got back I met my roomie, this chick from norway who ROCKS MY WORLD!  We chatted for hours before hitting the sack about sex ed, amsterdam, alcohol, self control and family.  She's like me...except norwegian!

Anywho today we visited old Cairo, the oldest church...  

synagogue (couldnt take pics) and mosque ....
...in Cairo.   See the green      ^   blobs, the chicas had to cover up.  I wasnt complaining, most of the girls needed to cover up anyway...tank/halter tops and miniskirts in CHURCHES???!! In Egypt?!?! ...europeans, smh.

all-in-all awesome.  Am i overwhelmed?  Do I miss home?

honestly, I'm overwhelmed everytime I leave the dorm but in a good way.  The little bit of the city that I've seen is beautiful and distinct.  I've never been anywhere like here.  About home?  I dont feel like I left.   Maybe that says something about the city.  I chat up the important people on skype...and I didnt leave any serious physical things behind, minus my newly acquired snazzy wardrobe :( .  It feels good.

I love this plac,  random friendly egyptians (no one has sought baksheesh) and shwerma!

0 comments:

Post a Comment